Saturday 30 March 2019

A Declaration of Independence



A Declaration of Independence

If you live in a foreign country, or even when you are travelling, you will find that the local population will often consider you to be a spokesman, a representative and the embodiment of your country of origin. You will be held responsible for its actions. For example, way back in 1982 a year long bike trip around North America coincided with the ' Falkland Crisis'. I was often asked why I had invaded the Falklands?! Back home in Breda, the Dutch city where I live, during a rare trip to the local Chinese take-away, it was 1997, the young girl behind the counter was chatty and friendly but her mood changed when she discovered I was British, angrily she demanded to know why I had given Hong Kong back to China?! Now in 2019, and for the last three years, I am constantly being asked why I want to leave Europe?!!! When confronted by this last question and when writing this column it's hard for me not to embark on a long and angry discourse, involving a lot of unprintable language, to convey what I really think about Brexit.
Brexit doesn't, however, just make me angry it also makes me sad.
Sad that a bunch of (over) privileged people have managed to persuade under privileged people that their lives will magically improve if the United Kingdom leaves the European Union. It won't.
Whatever happens there will inevitably be some people who will profit from the outcome but, and you can bet your life on this, it won't be the poor and needy.
Sad too that political leaders of all shades, over the whole world, still think the way do solve internal problems is simply to blame foreigners and outsiders.

But let's stick to my personal circumstances.
Last week I received a letter from the Dutch Department of Immigration containing a document, to be activated if the Britain leaves the EU with no deal, entitling me to remain in The Netherlands until July 2020. Coincidentally the same day I had an appointment at the local City Hall to discuss the situation. As it turns out I qualify and my paperwork is adequate for all the options open to me for continuing my residence in The Netherlands. If or when I make my choice there will be no barriers but, of course, there are costs involved. Not an awful lot of money but money I would rather be spending on something else. Maybe I can persuade the Brexit instigators and voters to pay for the extra expenses I will  incur due to their actions?

Or......
I could try a few options not suggested by the Department of Immigration.
Like asking for asylum? Probably not, I suspect that being governed by an inept and dysfunctional parliament is not enough grounds for refugee status.
What about a divorce? My partner was shocked by this suggestion for a second, until I explained that I meant from the United Kingdom not from her. However I rejected the idea almost instantly, judging by recent history it would take far too long to reach a settlement!
How about this though? I could declare myself an independent nation! Now that does have possibilities.
The fact that I would have to apply to become a member of the European Union shouldn't be a problem. With Britain gone, there will be a vacancy and with the Republic of Bob, New Bobland, Bobizstan, Bobzania or Boblandia being situated close to the Dutch/Belgian border, a relatively short drive to Brussels, it should be possible to negotiate membership in just a week or two!

Oh, and by the way, I promise not to invade anybody or give away any territories.




1 comment:

  1. We'll be glad to keep you on board! Love, Fred and Anna

    ReplyDelete